We work every day to help people in crisis. Usually, that’s helping texters move from their hot moment to cool and calm. Sometimes, it’s publishing whitepapers. And, often it’s sending some love to Empathy MVPs, our volunteer Crisis Counselors. Here are some of our favorite moments.
- We are the nation’s largest text-based crisis service, with over 27,000 trained Crisis Counselors in the U.S. having exchanged over 140 million text messages with people in crisis since our August 2013 launch.
- We’ve done our research. Our rigorous training is informed by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the American Association of Suicidology, and our Clinical Advisory Board.
- Humblebrag, but we recently received an award from the Skoll Foundation for our innovations in the mental health and technology space.
- The issues they share with our Crisis Counselors are often deeply personal and urgent—68% of our texters share something with us that they have never shared with anyone else.
- We’re HIPAA Compliant!
- We were obsessed with protecting people’s data before it was even a thing. The Electronic Privacy Information Center called us “a model steward of personal data” in 2018.
- We love looking at the numbers. In 2019, we worked with researchers from Appalachian State and N.C. State to study how the media could more safely and responsibly cover suicide-themed content. The outcome? A new best-practice: Media outlets should pair suicide-themed content with crisis support services.
- We are working with researchers at the Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory on a project which will provide insights to the Department of Veterans Affairs concerning predicting and detecting suicidal ideation in veterans and military families.
- We are trusted by private, public, and governmental institutions. Crisis Text Line has dozens of collaborative partnerships with state and local government entities around the country which have vetted our service and promote it to their residents, in addition to many more corporate, nonprofit, location-based, and school partners that promote our service.
- In 2019, we were recognized as an emergency response preparedness organization by the Department of Homeland Security following vetting by the Department of Health & Human Services and the Department of Homeland Security.
- The Veterans Crisis Line recognized that Crisis Text Line has “important outcomes for non-federally supported nationwide care.”
- We keep pace with the biggest tech companies out there. We were proud to receive a Google AI grant for our innovative contributions in the mental health and technology space.
- We love to collab. The org is a member of the National Hotline Consortium, a group that helps model and innovate best practices in the hotline space around the world.
- We are a member of the National Emergency Number Association Suicide Prevention Working Group, a collaborative group which is updating the existing 9-1-1 Suicide Prevention Standard to publish a new Suicide/Crisis Line Interoperability Standard, to help inform and guide law enforcement agencies nationwide regarding how crisis lines work and how to best work with them to save lives of people at imminent risk of suicide.
Texters, Crisis Counselors, and community members have a lot to say about us… and it gives us all the feels!